I took a bit of a hiatus from Blogorama! the last couple weeks because of the holidays. Who wants links when there’s all that food, fun, and merriment to be had?
But now we’re back, bitches.
What an interesting week, and not just here on this space. I know, I know, I can’t believe that there’s a world that exists outside this blog either, but it’s true! And it provided us with plenty of things to think about.
- Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven got elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Mark McGwire (not to be confused with our guy with a similar name) got his lowest percentage of votes yet. He’d have trouble getting in even without the PED scandal, as his career numbers are pretty underwhelming. I mean, consider what kind of a hitter he was and those two years he had, and he still ranks 79th in OBP. That stat was practically created for guys like him!
- Governor Andrew Cuomo gave his State of the State Address. Optimism level raised to “Cautious.”
- Gerry Rafferty, one-half of Stealers Wheels (“Stuck in the Middle of You”) as well as a successful solo artist (“Baker Street”) succumbed to a tragic and prolonged battle with alcoholism. Sadly it took his passing for me to finally purchase and listen to “City Life,” which is simply gorgeous and worth whatever the place you buy music will charge for it.
- President Obama will be visiting Schenectady on Tuesday. My contact at Fuccillo Hyundai informs me that, unfortunately, Billy Fuccillo will be in Florida opening a new Kia dealership next Tuesday and thus won’t be able to meet with the President. I am every bit as disappointed as you are.
- The Albany All-Star Roller Derby Girls have their season opener this Saturday at 8:00pm at the Washington Avenue Armory. Check out their site for more info.
- At the same time, Beware! The Other Head of Science will play a show at the Troy Bike Rescue with other great bands, also at 8:00pm. Roller Derby Girls and Beware Guys – if either of you you really loved me, you never would have asked me to choose.
- The City of Troy could use ten seconds of your time. CLICK HERE to vote in the Pepsi Refresh Grant and help revitalize downtown Troy. We can do this, guys!
Cold water, getting rid of cable, getting in shape for the New Year, and more. This…is Blogorama.
WE’RE YOUR SOURCE: This Week on the Times Union Blogs
My Polar Bear Plunge Baptism (Funnies – Greg Aidala)
Investing in Public Safety (David Kaczynski)
Obama is Coming to Schenectady! (Schenectady blog – Will King)
The Time Warner Cord is Cut (Daniel Nester)
And She Went Into the Bedroom… (Chuck Miller)
Jumping the Gun – on Albany’s Proposed 2am Bar Curfew (Albany blog – Vincent Barr)
The “How Do I Start” Checklist (Real [Fit] Life)
“Bob’s Burger’s” Undercooked (Television – Glenn Teichman)
Dale Miller leaves Dale Miller Restaurant (Table Hopping)
…and they’re renaming it “Taste.” In that same vein, from now on “Kevin Marshall: In the Present Tense” will be known as “Blog.”
Cops Can Read Your Texts Without a Warrant (High School – Katie Marufucci)
New Year (Animal Rights – Nicole Arciello Berhaupt)
More amazingness is after the jump.
IN OUR AREA CODE: Buttons, Bands, Broomsticks and More!
- So? Sew a Button (Alan Ilagan)
- Upcoming Shows for the B3nson family of musicians. You gotta get to these!
- Best Local Albums of 2010 (Nippertown)
- Any Witch Way You Can (Keyboard Krumbs)
- New York Feeling Fluish (All Over Albany)
- Happy New Year! (Leigh Cummings)
- State Bulletin: Help Me, Readers (Metroland)
- Move Over? New Law in Effect for 2011 (ashallann.com)
MEANWHILE, IN THE REST OF THE WORLD…
- Slain Politician Captures His Assassin on Camera (PetaPixel)
- Elizabeth Edwards Leaves Husband John Out of Will (Associated Press) Good for her.
- 2010 NFL Awards (Don’t Kid Yourself, Sports Edition)
- Wearing Glasses Will Get You a Better Job (Lifehacker) Because your future boss is stupid.
- The World’s Most Beautiful Parking Lot (WebUrbanist)
- Jon Fox (painting)
- William Hundley (photography)
- Top 12 Banksy Pieces of 2010 “Exit Through the Gift Shop” is streaming on Netflix. You need to see it.
- Reuters’ Best Photos of the Year (Best Bookmarks)
- UFC’s “Ultimate Auction” for Intrepid Heroes Fund Help raise money to help those who made such a great sacrifice for our country.
- UFC on Versus 3 Card Announced (MMAjunkie.com) It looks AWESOME. So much for us losing good free fight cards with the WEC merger, huh?
- Getting to Know Strikeforce fighter Rhadi Ferguson (CageWriter)
- Gary Goodridge Finally Got Paid This Week for New Year’s Eve 2009 Fight (MMA Fighting.com) Not a typo
- Investigative Report Unveils Fix in Hermes Franca Fight in Costa Rica (MMAFighting.com) Outrageous story.
- UFC Suspends Sonnen After Guity Plea in Mortgage Fraud (CageWriter)
Got links? Share ‘em.
- Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye…
- Listen to me LIVE as guest co-host of Alternative to Sleeping tonight at 10pm!
- Realtors: “WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH” George Hearst III: “NONONOO SSSSHHH IT’S OKAY, it’s okay…here. Here’s a pacifier.” Kristi: “#oops.”
- Open Mic web series premiere tonight @ Lark Tavern
- Trust Me, You’re Going to Want to See This