Before we begin: please take ten seconds out of your day to vote to revitalize downtown Troy in the Pepsi Refresh project. Let’s do this! Every vote counts, so do it early and often!
Tonight (Friday): Sgt. Dunbar & The Hobo Banned at Valentine’s in Albany! Also playing are Glenn Yoder, the Red Lions, and Littlefoot. $7 at the door.
Tomorrow (Saturday): ARES Promotion’s Fight Night III is at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Albany. Check the Facebook page for more info, and also keep an eye on the Boxing in the Capital Region blog. Its author, RING Magazine columnist Michael Rivest, will be in attendance and I’m sure will recap it. Best of luck to the locals on the card.
Also Tomorrow: for those of you who can’t make it out to Albany, UFC’s Fight for the Troops is live on Spike at 9pm. The event is headlined by Evan Dunham taking on Melvin Guillard and also features Matt Mitrione taking on Tim Hague. It’s all to raise money for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which goes to veterans who have suffered traumatic brain injuries and their families. You can donate directly here, and there’s also an auction.
This week – War of the Mascots, Getting Your S*** Together, and Gary Busey. This…is Blogorama.
WE’RE YOUR SOURCE: This Week on the Times Union Blogs
Scoop vs. Newsie (Michael Huber)
Silly Fan Superstitions (Mark McGuire)
Download Sean Rowe’s New Song for Free! (Arts Talk)
Questions & Answers with a Professional Organizer (Simpler Living)
It’s the Celebrity Apprentice 4[Goodness' Sake!] (Television / Greg Matusic) Gary Busey. ’nuff said.
And Now for Something Completely Different (Animal Rights / Nicole Arciello Berhaupt)
More amazingness is after the jump.
IN OUR AREA CODE
- Matt is Drunk and Misses Albany (Friday Puppy)
- EMPAC: Spring 2011 (All Over Albany)
- The CSA Took My Grumpy Away (FUSSYlittleBLOG)
- Here’s Your Shovel, What’s Your Hurry? (Keyboard Krumbs)
- Insurance Companies: A Personal Lawyer’s Opinion (Albany Lawyer)
- Judge a Hulk by its Cover (Superheroes, Etc.) Its author is local, hence the inclusion. It’s also quickly become one of my favorite blogs.
MEANWHILE, IN THE REST OF THE WORLD…
- eBay Auction Threatens to Unmask Banksy (CNN) What a weasel.
- Which is Worse: “epic” hyperbole or “meh.”? (The Onion AV Club) Both need to be retired yesterday.
- George Lucas is One of “Them” That Thinks the World Will End in 2012 (Gawker)
- Football Concussions & Brain Damage, From High School to Pro, Worse Than Previously Thought (Slate)
- Take a Good Album Apart? Don’t Be Ridiculous (Telegraph)
- Keith Richards – Life (Jaded Scenester NYC)
- David Milch Interview – on Luck, Deadwood movie, and True Grit (Esquire)
- A Brief History of the White Rapper (Pop & Hiss)
- David Walker (brush-less painting)
- Michael Page (paintings)
- Pat Rocha (paintings)
- Jason deCaires Taylor (underwater work)
- MMA & Boxing Attendance is Down in Vegas (CageWriter)
- Matt Matrione Applies NFL Lessons to MMA Career (Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports)
Matt fights Time Hague this Saturday live on Spike TV. GO TEAM MEATHEAD!
- UFC Featherweight Champ Jose Aldo to Return at UFC 129 (MMAFighting.com)
- The Truth About Trading Tomorrow for Today (MMAFighting.com/Ben Fowlkes)
- Jay Hieron Official for Bellator Season Four (MMAjunkie)
Great news. Hieron’s a legit talent at 170 and it’s a shame Strikeforce dropped the ball on him.
- Fedor Wants Strict Testing for Strikeforce Heavyweight Tournament (CageWriter)
- Fight for the Troops Video: Edward Wade’s Story
- Can Post-Fight Sucker-Punches Result in Criminal Charges? (MMAjunkie)
Got links? Share ‘em.
- Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye…
- Listen to me LIVE as guest co-host of Alternative to Sleeping tonight at 10pm!
- Realtors: “WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH” George Hearst III: “NONONOO SSSSHHH IT’S OKAY, it’s okay…here. Here’s a pacifier.” Kristi: “#oops.”
- Open Mic web series premiere tonight @ Lark Tavern
- Trust Me, You’re Going to Want to See This
The All-in-One Event Calendar core theme files are out of date and the calendar has been temporarily disabled. To enable the calendar, an administrator must log into the WordPress dashboard and follow the instructions.