In light of the Kegs and Eggs riot last weekend and resulting controversy, SUNY Albany has cancelled Fountain Day 2011 according to a tweet from the Albany Student Press.

The event had been scheduled for April 10th and had been an annual tradition since its inception in 1978.

Stay tuned to TimesUnion.com for what’s sure to be a bigger story in the coming days.

UPDATE 10:40pm – The full statement from SUNY Albany President George Philip, sent to the student body earlier today:

Dear University at Albany Students:

On Saturday, March 12th, we were faced with the knowledge that a number of UAlbany students participated in destructive activities in the City of Albany. We are struggling to understand why these students would blatantly disrespect themselves, their neighbors, and the values of this campus in order to participate in such negative behavior. The shocking conduct of a few that day stands in stark contrast to the behavior of the vast majority of hard working students who are intent on pursuing an education and contributing to society.

The University is now facing severe criticism. The behavior exhibited by some of our students has many questioning the integrity of our University and, as a community, we must respond. Consequently, we face some difficult choices, including the future of Fountain Day.

Recent Fountain Day activities have required substantial efforts to mitigate negative student behavior. While Fountain Day continues to be a source of school pride, there remains a contingent of students who use this day as an excuse to promote excessive alcohol consumption that compromises everyone’s safety.

Although I am deeply saddened by this decision, I am announcing the suspension of Fountain Day in 2011. I regret that this action will punish students who had no role in the disturbing events of March 12. But the need to proactively respond and to uphold our reputation has never been greater. In light of last weekend’s incidents and difficulties with Fountain Day in prior years, we simply cannot continue to sponsor this event in its current form.

This is a regrettable choice, but the right decision. There is much at stake here: your education, your future success, and the success of the University at Albany. I call upon each of you to work together during the next academic year to develop a spring event that can become a meaningful, safe and fun tradition. We must stand together in our resolve to forge the future we envision together.

Sincerely yours,

George M. Philip
President

8 Responses to BREAKING: SUNY Albany cancels Fountain Day 2011

1. Roger Green says:

It was threatened by the Prez right after K&E; unsurprising announcement, and even understandable, in light of potential litigation v. the university if they are seen to be culpable. But too bad for the campus, and for the students who were not involved.

2. Jack says:

President Philip claims that he is protecting the reputation of the University. I would argue that the University’s actions with regard to fountain day recently (banning alums, cancelled 2012 for construction, cancelling 2011 because of actions of a few) only hurt its reputation among alumni and and students. As an alum, I will not donate $.01 until this attitude changes.

3. Albert J says:

Finally, a “teaching moment”. Hopefully it may produce and be followed by a “learning moment”. Every envelope has a bursting point, and when you keep pushing the capacity of any envelope, it will eventually burst.

The problem with pendelums, the more they swing, the more they swing back, and sometimes that backswing reaches a lot farther than anticipated.

4. Jones says:

Thanks for taking away the celebration of the students who WEREN’T involves hard work and thank you to the media who only note the bad things SUNY does and not the good things like raising over 85,000 dollars this weekend at Relay for life for cancer.

5. Steve says:

When “bad things” become violent and destructive things, then it isn’t a matter of punishment, it’s a matter of responsibility. It’s sad that innocent people were robbed of their opportunity to celebrate, but it’s even sadder when innocent people are hurt, threatened, or have their property vandalized. In fact, it’s criminal. There are more important things to protect than a party.

6. jakester says:

Should allow time all more time for what they’re really there for,
    pop a beer and study. Jack, maybe SUNY students/grads could just send in all their empties? Just a thought…

7. Jane says:

I have got to say, I think its hilarious how serious these students take Fountain Day…like really? They are going to protest and cry about it? Maybe they should just keep studying…seeing thats what college is really for anyways.

8. Scott Kokosa says:

College is not just about hitting the books and getting the grades. It is an experience that takes a person from their childhood, educates them both in the classrooms as well as in social aspects, and then releases them into the working world (hopefully) a changed person to some extent. Many schools have traditions. Fountain Day was one that I attended for my four years at UAlbany, and a day that I enjoyed quite a bit. I graduated in 1999 from UAlbany, and I never once had to deal with any true issues associated with Fountain Day. We also did not cause riots. We had a good, fun time, and sure, we got into our trouble, but these students are going to far – and I believe my senior class even made the Princeton Review atop a less than perfect ranking. It’s time to reign them in a bit, and the President has my support in doing so. I can only hope that Fountain Day will resume for the students as soon as possible.