A quick follow-up to the info I received last week regarding local fighters and former High School classmates Tom Marcellino, Manny Millan, and Mervin Rodriguez competing on the same MMA card for the XFE promotion in Atlantic City.
The local fighters went 1-2 on the night. Rodriguez lost a decision to tough 155-pounder Brian Jackson, while Millan put up a valiant effort but ultimately succumbed to the always dangerous Brian Kelleher.
Marcellino, on the other hand, was not only victorious but walked out with the promotion’s lightweight championship.
On behalf of myself and my readers, who are supporters of MMA and long to see local fighters get the chance to show their skills in their home state (one of only a handful that still does not regulate the sport), I congratulate Tom, Manny, and Mervin on a job well done. Even though only one of you walked out with a title that evening, you all entered the cage as you left it: as sportsmen and warriors.
For full fight card results, visit XFE’s website.
IN OTHER LOCAL COMBAT SPORTS NEWS: Local boxer Mike Faragon (24-5, 14 KO) will take on Ira Terry LIVE on ESPN in the opening bout of Friday Night Fights starting at 9:30pm. Mike Rivest has more info on his Boxing in the Capital Region blog.
- White: N.Y., stop fighting this sportnydailynews.com
- Three local fighters on the same card this Fridaytimesunion.com
- Addressing concerns of Senator Liz Krueger and others who oppose the legalization of MMAtimesunion.com
- Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye…
- Listen to me LIVE as guest co-host of Alternative to Sleeping tonight at 10pm!
- Realtors: “WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH” George Hearst III: “NONONOO SSSSHHH IT’S OKAY, it’s okay…here. Here’s a pacifier.” Kristi: “#oops.”
- Open Mic web series premiere tonight @ Lark Tavern
- Trust Me, You’re Going to Want to See This