For all its faults, CNN.com actually has a helpful list of ways to legitimately help with Hurricane Relief: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/us/iyw-how-to-help-after-sandy/index.html
Folks: DO NOT collect food, clothing, or other materials without checking with an organization first like the Red Cross. Many of you might mean well, but you’ll just make more work for people down there collecting crap and bringing it down to the city.
Also: please get in touch with a legitimate charity organization first before planning any trips to New York to either help out or give donations.
Do not let arrogance and ignorance get in the way of relief.
Also here, from WNYC.org: http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2012/oct/30/how-help-hurricane-sandy/
- Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye…
- Listen to me LIVE as guest co-host of Alternative to Sleeping tonight at 10pm!
- Realtors: “WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH” George Hearst III: “NONONOO SSSSHHH IT’S OKAY, it’s okay…here. Here’s a pacifier.” Kristi: “#oops.”
- Open Mic web series premiere tonight @ Lark Tavern
- Trust Me, You’re Going to Want to See This