Just a quick reminder that today is not Veteran’s Day. It’s Memorial Day.
A lot of you are out there making that mistake. I haven’t kept count on the number of times I’ve heard people make references to veterans, or talk about celebrating veterans, or what have you. Sadly, I think even if I had tried, I would have lost count.
Memorial Day is intended for us to reflect, honor, and yes, mourn those that made the ultimate sacrifice in service of their country. It’s not for the living veteran, it’s for the dead soldier.
This isn’t a simple matter of semantics. It’s an important distinction owed not just for the sake of preserving the original intent of the holiday, but for those families of soldiers that have someone missing at their annual cookout.
- Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye…
- Listen to me LIVE as guest co-host of Alternative to Sleeping tonight at 10pm!
- Realtors: “WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH” George Hearst III: “NONONOO SSSSHHH IT’S OKAY, it’s okay…here. Here’s a pacifier.” Kristi: “#oops.”
- Open Mic web series premiere tonight @ Lark Tavern
- Trust Me, You’re Going to Want to See This